Saturday, August 31, 2024

Thank You Erwin Chemerinsky

In February of this year, I left Twitter and began teaching at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at the University of Delaware facility in Lewes, Delaware. My course was titled, "Fascism In America".

On September 4, I'll be teaching "Lies Our Forefathers Told Us: Fascism American Style" for the Fall term. Emily Mathews, Program Coordinator at OLLI, helped me restructure the course.

I left Twitter because it became too hostile an environment for civil conversation after Elon Musk acquired the platform in November 2023.

Teaching provides me with an opportunity to stop complaining about our politics and actually do something to improve the situation - share with others - educate.

On August 20, 2024, "No Democracy Lasts Forever: How The Constitution Threatens The United States" by Erwin Chemerinsky was published.

Nick Maggio recommended the book to me and I took out the audiobook version from the Milton library. I have the free "Hoopla" app on both my computer and tablet; and I can listen in bed without disturbing Kathy.

I finished this book in 2 days - the book is that good and the audio version is excellent.

Erwin is the Dean of the UC Berkeley School of Law. 

It's possible he wrote this book just for me because it covers a good deal of the material I present in my class.

Our country is broken. It's falling apart and we're headed toward a world of misery. Our politics have become too divisive - too extreme - too insane - too hostile - too violent.

Erwin gives an excellent, legal summation of what's causing this and explores a multitude of ways - legal paths - we could take going forward.

Erwin is trying to educate and orient us - elevate the social dialogue. He's providing us with a basis for sane discussion.

Reading this book will help you better understand where we are, how we got here and what we need to address going forward.

If everyone read the book, we could all focus on problem solving and engage in civil discourse as opposed to shouting at each other and engaging in thuggery.



OLLI has provided me with a wonderful opportunity to learn and share with others - it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

I believe there are OLLI programs all across the country. If you're a senior, you should check to see if there's one in your area.

My class is offered as a classroom discussion class. There are others offered via Zoom and some are offered both in the classroom and over Zoom (hybrids).

For the record, since 2023, I ceased being a member of AARP, I stopped buying books, and I started using community resources like the public library, the local senior center and OLLI.

I also updated my profile picture on social media.

Holy Moly!

No comments:

Post a Comment