Wednesday, April 17, 2019

A Fool For All Occasions

I watched video of Notre Dame in flames on the news yesterday. It was sad. I've never been to France or Europe or any countries other than Canada and Mexico. Yet, as I watched from my living room in Delaware, my heart was breaking.
I was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. When the Dodgers left Brooklyn for Los Angelos in 1957, my heart broke, but the emotion I felt was anger. I felt betrayed and abandoned.
In 2001, I turned on the morning news and was glued to it for hours as I watched the World Trade Center buildings burning and finally collapsing. I was numb. Eventually, I was just terrified.
The loss I felt when the Dodgers left Brooklyn was akin to what it feels like to lose a family member. When the Towers came down, I no longer felt secure in either my home or my country. It was a loss of personal safety.
The loss I felt as I watched Notre Dame burn, was a loss of history. Something I shared with generations of my ancestors for almost 900 years was going up in smoke.
Notre Dame transcended time, geography and religion. It was something man made that simply endured - something that remained in use and continued to function - something I assumed would always be there was turning into ruins.
With the whole world focused on Paris, Donald Trump could not help himself. He Tweeted.
I am tired of feeling a need to apologize to the whole world for this vile, clueless imbecile. He needs to be removed.
Holy Moly!

No comments:

Post a Comment