Sunday, May 26, 2019

Some Things Are Worth Remembering

I've known a few judges over the years. My association with them often left me feeling disappointed. However there is one that I found inspiring.
Oddly enough, we met at an art show Kathy and I were doing. Kathy is the artist. He came over to our booth with his wife and they introduced themselves.
Geroge W. Bush was president and I was a regular letter writer to our state's daily newspapers. My letters were highly critical of Bush and they drew a lot of heat. I became a magnet for hostility, especially around the issue of Iraq.
At Kathy's shows people usually don't come over to see me, so it was a surprise when they asked me if those were my letters. They liked my letters.
The following week I met with the judge in his chambers. He was impressive not based upon his position, but for his character. He has a genuinely good heart. He must have a very old soul. He writes musical comedies based upon not at all funny novels. He's also a member of the ACLU.
We have remained in touch. When an old friend's grandson was thinking about law school, he was happy to meet with him and answer any questions he might have. We met in his chambers after observing him in the courtroom.
He answered all the questions. He didn't lecture. He told him he didn't have to go to a prestigious law school to be a good lawyer. When asked why he went to law school, he didn't pause. He said when he was a young man he read "To Kill A Mockingbird" and was inspired by the book.
On the ride home, I asked what he thought of the judge. He said, "He's a really nice guy." This young man always holds his cards close to the chest. He measures his responses, but this was actually a telling response.
Yesterday, Kathy had her first art show of the season. It was Déjà vu all over again, only now the judge is retired. I asked him if he's been keeping up with what's going on. He said he couldn't talk about it. He said he "hates" Donald Trump.
His whole affect changed when he said that. He was noticeably shook. He said I have never hated anybody. I don't like that I have hate in my heart. I can't get beyond it.
Outdoor art shows can be draining. This was one of the most draining shows I've ever been to. The sun was hiding and the wind was blowing. I was very cold and we were set up in the shade of a tree. I was too cold to read the book I had hoped to finish.
I think I would've been fine if I'd thought to bring a jacket. Kathy really did well. That's always good. It helps mitigate whatever discomfort the elements bring. Except this time, I can't shake seeing a decent man so distressed and feeling powerless to help.
How many decent Americans have given everything they've had to insure our future and prosperity? How many evils have we confronted at home and abroad? We can't afford to ignore what is happening and pretend things are okay, especially on Memorial Day.
It's time to put aside all political considerations and stop our nation's reckless descent into fascism. It's time to impeach Donald Trump while we still can.
This morning my daughter, who is speaking at a conference in Poland, posted some pictures of her trip. This one in particular caught my attention.
Holy Moly!

No comments:

Post a Comment